Friday, August 13, 2010

Tony Kennedy and the Supremes

One thing I love about the Prop 8 issue being before the courts is that it is, in general, quieter. Last night, however, the junior partner of the home teaching pair raised some questions regarding what happens next. Many analysts and pundits see the whole issue being left up to Justice Anthony Kennedy as the swing vote. I shared with him, that since I have had more exposure to Tony Kennedy than the average citizen, I'm fairly certain that he will vote to uphold gay marriage.

I guess that isn't really what my guest wanted to hear. That gay marriage is now possibly on its way to becoming the law of the land.

His partner really didn't want to hear my speculation that the LDS church would eventually become a pretty gay friendly church either. What do I base this counter-intuitive perspective on? The last verse of Section 124 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the manifesto, and the 1978 priesthood revelation. Read those three together and I think you can follow my reasoning and understand that with or without a revelation, practice and policy may change. Which is not say they will go as far as sanctifying gay marriages in temples . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment