Saturday, January 2, 2010

Harvey Milk Day?

Warning: To any of you inclined to inform me that I know not of what I speak, please be advised that the shooting of Mr. Milk occurred on my turf and in my time.

When I saw it, I said surely it could not be so, and checked Snopes.com. True.

Hmmmmm, Harvey Milk Day? Harvey Milk Day? Yes the landmark civil rights ordinance in San Francisco was landmark. Did Harvey singlehandedly bring the civil rights ordinance into law? No. Would anyone even remember Harvey but for Dan White's victimization of him with a twinkie crumb coated handgun? Probably not.

For an interesting post on Dan White and his gay campaign manager's (Ray Sloan) attempts to set the record straight on what really happened with the Milk and Moscone assasinations please read this article. Note the men, depression, homicide, suicide and handgun connection/correlation.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for continuing to bring to light the connections between depression, guns, suicide, and harm done when all are "brought" together. I know you have alluded to this in previous posts, but can you say more about exactly what your work and job entail? And, I admire you greatly for being willing to work with these tough "subjects". I do not think I have it in me to deal with such hard realities of suffering. Thank the Heavens for people, like you, who are willing to help others try and beter their lives as you do.

    Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slp-I will try to get an email address to you either on your site or mine later and we can have the discussion as to what my occupation is offline.

    I set out to try not to be involved in these types of issues, but it was inevitable due to where I work and harsh economic realities. Also, getting more involved with these types of issues professionally has paralleled and intertwined with my own journey of the last eighteen months.

    Handgun issues are on my mind on a number of levels this weekend. And, I'm beginning to rethink my previous fence sitting position on expanding gun control as I struggle with the issue. Proving correlation is one thing, but predicting causation is quite another. There are too many guns out there and too many people have them at times in life when they should not have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to learning more. If you will drop an e-mail address in the comment section of my blog, I will write you. (My comments are moderated and this will ensure you safety with the e-mail. I will not post it.) Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete